Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Two weeks ago when mom was in town, we joined the Nethercuts for dinner at the elite UT Club. We parked in the garage and as we were crossing the street to the lower level of the Club, mom said, "I can't help but think about the UT sniper when I'm on this campus."

"Mom! That happened before I was born." I said with an incredulous get-over-it sort of attitude.

"I can't help it," she said; she who lived in Missouri and Minnesota in the 60s. "It's still makes me uncomfortable."

Two weeks later her words haunt me. Students and adults across the globe are shaken up by Virginia Tech's tragedy. And it will not soon go away.

To the parents of those who died or are still in the hospital, my heart is with you and my prayers are for you. God cries too, for this world is a mess. I'm sorry the TVs keep exploiting you and the web reminding you. At the same time, may you always remember whom you loved, and may their spirits live on in you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you don't think television coverage allows citizens to stay in touch with the world around them? The very fact that this was publicized prompted universities nationwide to reevaluate their emergency response policies. Sometimes it takes a week of seeing the faces of the dead to really understand how fragile and temporary we are.

Ann said...

good point.

Frank said...

Great message Ann.

I agree that TV exploits. Jen's point is also good. I just saw a news report that said text messaging can save lives in a situation like this (the university can implement an emergency notification program). Pretty good technology.

Anonymous said...

journalist report only what people want to see

170 people died in baghdad since monday