Pages

Sunday, May 08, 2011

33 Wishes... sort of.

It's here. Better late than never, eh? This is my Wish List for my 33rd Birthday which will be upon us in eight days. While my therapist suggested I register for gifts like women would for weddings or baby showers (debunking the idea that the community only helps provide for a woman if she's getting married or having a baby), I'm not ready for that. However, I will categorically share my wish list in three parts: What I Want, What I Need and... Be My Patron. Check it out...

WHAT I WANT
  • Gift certificates to Parts & Labor (my favorite local store in Austin), Creatures (another local Austin treasure - it and P&L are located on South Congress just south of Riverside) or Anthropologie!
  • Full sized sheets for my bed (with two queen sized pillowcases) in neutral colors: white, cream or beige with minimum 400 thread count.
  • A curved curtain rod like this one (double rod!) at Bed Bath and Beyond or this cheaper one.
  • A new shower head like this one (also found at BB&B) with a "finger pause button" for when you're shampooing, shaving, etc. (awesome!)
  • a blender (for margaritas and smoothies - would like to try some new healthy alternatives) and maybe a vegetarian smoothie cook book (P.S. don't tell anyone I asked for a cook book. I'll never live it down).
  • a bar stool like this one at Ikea in black.
  • Other things I love... Books!... Candles!... Cool Belt Buckles!... Earrings and Rings!... Shoes (size 6)!... Scrapbooking stickers and stuff!... and Fingernail polish: one day a month or two ago I just decided that for the first time in my life, I wanted to wear bold, bright nail polish. But not your normal red or pink or brown. I want fun colors!...
WHAT I NEED
  • New size 6 tennis shoes for walking, jogging and exercising (haven't had a new pair of in years and am running another 1/2 maraton relay in October).
  • Fillings on six teeth (approx $200 a tooth)
So this final section is things I would like to have but can't currently afford. They are things that, if I lived in the 1800s or early 1900s I could maybe get or do because I am artist and I would possibly have a patron. That patron would sponsored me and my art allowing me time to write and perform and not worry about how to pay the bills...

BE MY PATRON
  • Headshots by Claire McAdams. $250. She's local, she's young, her work is amazing, and I really need a good headshot for auditions.
  • Dance classes at Ballet Austin in Ballet, Modern or Broadway Jazz. They sell "Class-cards." For a 4 class-card it's $60, an 8 class-card is $110, 12 classes is $150, 16 is $190 and a 20 class-card is $220.
  • My hair returned to it's more natural and more likable red-brown color (I'm still currently sporting the leftover blonde Evita hair now with two inches are dark roots!) I go to "gypsecowgirl" at Topaz Salon on South Lamar. $120-160.
  • Buy me a day to write. I earn $15/hour babysitting (and work 8-10 hour days) and approximately $10/hour acting (if I get cast in a show that pays!). So, buy me a "writing day" for $120 and I'll take a day off work and devote 8 hours to working on my book or buy me a writer's block for $40 and I'll devote four hours of a weekend to writing (either way, you'll get your name in my list of thank you's when/if the book is published!).
  • Voice lessons... in addition to getting another Masters in Minority Literature, I'm also considering another Masters in Vocal Performance. If so, I have to have the recommendation of a vocal coach to even apply to schools. And that costs money. Depending on the teacher, between $50 and $100 a lesson...

5 comments:

jenA said...

take the blender off your list and send me your address. I know I have it but I like to get it every time in case I've written it down wrong before.

Anonymous said...

No you may NOT take a day off of work to write! What do you expect me to do? take the day off too and hang out with my daughter all day....wait, that sounds awesome. Look for a check in the mail.
Bethany

Ann said...

Thanks jenA. I sent you a FB message. And thanks Bethany... it's not that I don't love your daughter, I just neeeed to schedule out hours to write and it's so hard when working 60-80 hours a week (plus commute time)!

Anonymous said...

take sheets and running shoes off your list. i'm so on it.

Nance said...

I have just read your posts for May, and I'm amazed at how brave you are in your writing. And how beautifully you string words together, with honesty and clarity. Since I missed wishing you a happy 33rd, I want to sponsor some dance for you--four lessons on me. Send me your address and I'll send you the check.

YLF (Dan started these abbreviations when he was writing blogs from London, and it has stuck with our family.)