Pages

Friday, February 17, 2006

"Curse God and die!"

The infamous one-liner of the foolish wife of Job who criticizes her husband's integrity and admonishes him to blasphemy.

I play her.

Of course I do. I really wanted Satan, but if I couldn't get that, Job's wife was the next best thing.

First Baptist is doing J.B. a play by pulitzer prize-winning poet Archibald MacLeish written in the 50s after the despair of W.W.II. It's based on the ancient book of Job in the Hebrew bible, but set in modern times.

It is intense, but it is beautiful.

And truth be told, unlike the biblical tale, Job's wife brings redemption in the end.

And I like that part too.

I bring despair and I bring hope. I admit failure, I invoke love. I curse, I bless.

And something about that translates well beyond that ancient tale and into my life today.

Thanks be to God.

2 comments:

Sam Davidson said...

I've seen Ann perform this role and I think she does a bang-up job. So if you're in the area, go see the play.

Sam Davidson said...

I've seen Ann perform this role and I think she does a bang-up job. So if you're in the area, go see the play.