Pages

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

You're In the Wrong Profession

What would you do?

What would you do if someone told you you were in the wrong profession?

Not because you messed up or failed at something or whatever. Rather, because you were gifted at something else. What would you do if your gifts didn't match your profession?

Someone asked me that tonight and i didn't know what to say. Probably because the economy is crappy and one of my friends just lost her job (take that all you people who keep reporting that jobs are up in austin), and because i don't have a savings account and i'm freaking out, and because many people my age are having babies and not really worrying about "what they want to be when they grew up."

So what would you say to someone who told you they were in the wrong profession? What would you say in 2009? The year of frugality? They year of opportunity?

Would you have told her, go for it?
Would you have said, do something practical?
Would you have said, stick with the job and the money, life's unpredictable?
Or would you have said, do what you like, what makes you happy ... honey, go for it.

That's what my parents say. I tried to stir the waters a bit when I was at home for Christmas. I announced in the car after my parents and i'd been out for a movie (Emily had a party and we were "excused" from the home front). "I'm considering going to opera school," I announced.

"That's great," mom replied. "Whatever makes you happy."

Please. I just said it to get a reaction. Perhaps like the person who told me the "wrong profession" comment.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd like to go to school for opera, but really. I'm too old to go pursuing whimsical fantasies.

So what would you tell this woman, blog world? Cause Lord knows I don't have all the answers.

What would you say if someone told you, "You're in the wrong profession"?

7 comments:

deliciousmelissa said...

I think I'd have to go with "Go for it!". All we have is today and yesterday. Money is not worth sacrificing your soul for. These are very black/white comments, but at this point it is my complete feeling on the matter. Also, I would give her a hug, because she'll need it.
=0)

Anonymous said...

I think a good response to teh comment "You're in the wrong profession" would be: "So's your face."

Holly Swift said...

I think it depends on who tells you that. If it's someone who knows you well, you might want to prayerfully consider what s/he said and ask the advice of other people who know you well too. It might also depend on how well you like your current profession. If you're not really happy with what you're doing now, it might be a sign that it's not right for you. I think a lot of people choose the wrong profession for them and then feel unhappy much of their lives. On the other hand if you love your job and it's a total stranger who tells you that, you can probably disregard it.

Michelle said...

This is what I have to say about this:
"...because i don't have a savings account and i'm freaking out, and because many people my age are having babies and not really worrying about "what they want to be when they grew up."

Bullshit.

Stop pretending that because certain people are at a certain point in their lives, that everything is perfect. We don't have any savings and we are having a freakin' baby. And just because we are having a baby, doesn't mean I am not worrying about what I want to be when I grow up. Look at me! I am working at glorified grocery store, ringing groceries!

You are not the only one thinking "I'm in the wrong profession".

We all change. It was our parent's generation that stay in one job for all of their working lives. We don't have to do that. We can change jobs! Yes, it might be scary, but if you feel like it's right, then do it!

Dammit Ann! Stop placing certain expectations on yourself and where you think should be in your life and just live your life!

Anonymous said...

three thoughts:
1) I have found that it's very easy to romanticize other people's lives. I do it ALL THE TIME. There is no magic cure to our struggles (not babies, not jobs, not lovers)though it is so easy to think that there is.

2) Sometimes that statement "You're in the wrong profession" can be meant as a compliment (kind of the opposite of "don't quit your day job). Don't know if it was that kind of compliment, and she's just taking it to the next level in her mind, or if the person meant something different. And really, it doesn't matter what the person MEANT, it is significant only in that it started this process in her mind.

3) I would say, follow your dreams AND be practical. We don't have to always jump in head-first to try something new. Try doing the thing you love "on the side" as it were, until you can do it full-time if that's what you want. (of course, not knowing the specific situation, this advice might be total bunk.)

Ann said...

aw CovG Rebecca. I miss you :)

Yeah, I think y'all right about context. i should have given more. i do think it was meant as a compliment. The story I got was that it wasn't said to criticize her for being a teacher, rather to encourage her to explore the gifts she exhibited elsewhere.

I think it is hard to speak into other people's lives. It's hard enough to discern how to live our own. On the other hand, when people come to you for advice, as I guess I have come to the blogworld, it's hard to know what to say.

pray about it... (that's what i should tell them i suppose :)
tell em go fly a kite...
do what feels right...
be smart, we're in a recession...
just do it...
do what makes you happy...

tricky. very tricky.

texasinafrica said...

Life is WAY too short to be miserable for 8+ hours a day. Destroying your soul for cash isn't worth it.