Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Youth Camp

I am at SWBYC in Sherman, TX. Translation: I'm at youth camp. The youth left on Sunday, I flew in on Monday at the last minute and it's been non-stop ever since. Here's a brief re-cap of the week so far...



















I'm learning about being "wanted" as a minister versus being "needed." I'm also learning about just "being" instead of "doing." It's such a transition from last year when I was the worship leader. I spent much of last year preparing slides, practicing music, then teaching Bible study, participating in church group, going to bed on time, etc. This year I just hang out. I have no responsibilities. So where the students are, I am. When they're in Bible study, I work on the other parts of my job from my laptop. It's great. Low stress, few responsibilities, but great work done. Strange. I've never been in a position before where my job was to "hang out" (and be a counselor - but mostly that means just be there for the kids). It's a learning experience and it's good...

1 comment:

Michelle said...

It's funny. We were in Sherman at the same time for two whole days and didn't know it. Ah well, it's not like we could have hung out anyways. But it is funny...to me...because I'm strange.