Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 30

I took the Ralph Waldo Emerson's Trust30 challenge to write every day for thirty days. If you follow the blog then you know that this is only my 12th blog of the month, so I obviously came up short, but I'm okay with that. Sometimes it's advantageous to be short :)

Truthfully, I started off pretty strong, but what I discovered was that writing a blog, one like A Birthday and a Boy or Oh Baby took more than one day. I'd write for two hours one day and then finish editing for another two hours the next day. And then I was already a day behind on writing! Additionally, there are just some things one can't put on the blog. And for that there is the journal.

So I don't feel too bad about not posting every day for 30 days for I did spend much time writing, even if the readers didn't always see the results.

Additionally, the mark of a good writer is a good reader, and I did put more effort into reading during those thirty days as well. I worked on several books and plays over the month: Unprotected Texts, The Lion In Winter, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy, and When God Was a Woman. Granted, most of these are more academic than literary, but that's okay. Jonah's Gourd by my favorite Zora Neale Hurston is on the docket for the next read.

All in all, I'm not beating myself up over "not writing" every day for 30 days. It was a good push and I did get out some stories I'd had inside me that had wanted out for while now. And it was nice to have the prompts to read (or promptly delete) as a few of them did inspire some thoughtful reflection on my part.

So thank you Emerson and thank you authors of the 30 days of prompts. And I leave you with, again, the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson...

I must be myself. I cannot break myself any longer for you, or you...

No comments: